Homemade Clam Dip & Chips
|Family Game Night Snacks (c) Elf|
The quickest and most popular of these type of snacks are what we all like to refer to as 'chips & dip'.
Many years ago our grocery store carried, along with your typical onion dip and guacamole dip, a creamy cream cheese type dip with clams. The seafood lovers in my family absolutely loved it. Somewhere along the line the store-bought clam dip disappeared from the dairy section, probably due to lack of popularity as not everyone likes clams. (Can't imagine that, but it's true!). :-)
We really missed not being able to buy clam dip any more, so I got to pondering on it and figured out it couldn't be that hard to come up with my own version. Using some suggestions from an appetizer cook book for seafood-type dips, this 'homemade clam dip' is what I 'invented'. My family and friends liked it so much that it has become the 'expected' snack item at our house for any time we get together. It's best served with ripple-style chips and/or pretzels because it is a bit 'stiffer' than some dips and the regular chips break apart too easily while 'dipping'.
My son recently called me long distance because he couldn't find his copy of my recipe and needed a review of the ingredients for the batch he was making. Others have asked for the recipe too, so I decided to share it here. Hope you enjoy it at your next gathering.
RECIPE For Clam Dip
- 1 (or 2) 8-ounce package Cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce tub Sour cream, Use 'light' version, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice, bottled or Fresh
- 3 or 4 Scallions or Green Onions, chopped
- Dash Pepper
- 1 or 2 cans Canned Clams, drained
- Large Bag Ripple-style Potato Chips and/or Pretzels
- Place opened package of cream cheese in a medium bowl to soften.
- Finely chop 3 or 4 fresh scallions (or green onions). Amount depends on your personal preference.
- When cream cheese is soft enough to work with, add the chopped green onions, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add the sour cream a few spoonfuls at a time, stirring into the cream cheese mixture.
- Continue adding sour cream until the dip is the consistency you prefer. Some like it stiffer, somewhat like a spread you could serve on crackers; others like it soft enough to use with chips and pretzels.
- When the dip is mixed to the consistency you like, add the clams (drained, but allow a tiny bit of clam juice to remain for a nice extra flavor).
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to allow the flavors to nicely blend. Stir once again before serving with the chips and/or pretzels.
Cream cheese dips, clam and otherwise, are my favorite kinds of dip.
I made a batch of my clam dip for a recent visit from my son & family. It's our favorite snack and is always expected.
Chips and Other Dips!
If clams are not your favorite, there are lots of other kinds of dips from spinach and guacamole to onion dip to salsas. Any dip and combination of chips (potato, tortilla, pretzels) make great finger food snacks for any kind of party or get-together.
|Available on Amazon|
Dips is a dip cookbook with more than 40 recipes ranging from quick & easy dips to fancy party dips. A cookbook filled with dip recipes for any party or occasion.
Are you a fan of 'chips & dips?' What is your favorite kind of dip?
For a variety of other kinds of appetizers, check out these fabulous appetizer reviews compiled for your snacking pleasure here on
National Chip and Dip Day is
FOLLOW US ON: