The Big Holiday many people have been waiting for is just around the corner.
It's literally just days away and many people are feeling the stress building! Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure everyone loves this holiday, but when the stress becomes so all encompassing, it's hard to enjoy it!
What can you do to make this time of year the joyful and wonderful time it's supposed to be? Well in my experience, I know I had put a lot of the pressure on myself and got caught up in all the things that could go wrong. I needed help to see that my focus was in the wrong place! Instead of focusing on the negative, I needed to focus on something positive and different.
So here are some of the things I do to help relieve that pressure:
- Wrapping things up can make me crazy. I have two left hands but I still want my packages to look nice! Now I still do that, but I use gift bags to make the packing that much easier. Dollar Stores are great help for this! Inside each package goes a personalized note to the recipient, letting them know how much they mean to me! (It doesn't have to be long, just meaningful)
- Take lots of breaks, drop everything and go for a 10 minute walk around the neighborhood. When you get back you'll get twice as much done because you are more relaxed.
- Take your phone with you and grab some festive pictures while out in the "hood". Focus on Christmas decor, Dogs in their Christmas sweaters, People willing to smile at you, etc.
- Get physical and do someone a favor while you are out! Do you have a neighbor that could use a little help? Offer to do something for them (go to the store, shovel their walk, walk their dog, or ask them to join you for a cup of tea or coffee) The gift of your time is priceless!
- Head out to a local church and just take a few steps inside the doors. Go to a church/temple that you may never have been to before. (Check the internet for times, most places of worship will have some kind of schedule and extended hours)
- Take an hour or two and head to your local library. Browse the shelves for something you might enjoy reading over the holidays.
- Turn up the music (not necessarily Christmas music, but something that you enjoy! ABBA, the Beatles, Rolling Stones (am I dating myself?))
- Browse You Tube to learn a new dance. Moving and getting your blood flowing are great ways to relief some stress. Plus you could learn a few new moves along the way and share those with your family and friends (Even if it's just to laugh at yourself).
- Sit back and watch a movie! Again it doesn't need to be a Christmas movie, but one that you enjoy!
- If all this fails, then you can always take a nap! Sometimes just resting your eyes can do wonders for your nerves and your anxiety. Close those eyes and say a little prayer so your focus is on something supernatural and divine.
Learn to laugh and smile, what you share out in the world will come right back to you!
My hope for you is that you truly enjoy this Holiday Season to it's fullest! May you have a lovely Christmas with your family and friends and may your New Year be Blessed with lots of Joy!
FOLLOW US ON: