Characters from the Book
- Luca- A fascinating young boy who comes down with a dreaded disease. Luca has a wonderful imagination and a "friend" he talks to that only he can see. His parents were killed when he was very young and he lives with his grandparents in a small Italian village.
- Giovanni- Luca's grandfather who loves his grandson dearly, but is haunted by a decision he made years ago during the war when he found his son Paolo (Luca's father) and brought him home to raise him as his own.
- Nina- A young nurse who is very dedicated and helps to lead the search to find a donor for Luca. This search turns into a life changing event for her.
- Rabbi Joseph Neiman- A rabbi in Brooklyn, New York who is struggling with his faith. When he works to help a young girl in his community find a bone marrow donor, he has his own marrow tested and finds he is a match for a young boy in Italy. What secrets will be revealed to show how a young Catholic boy can have Jewish genes?
- Sarah- The wife of the rabbi who has very bad feelings toward anyone from Italy, where her grandparents were captured and sent to a concentration camp during the war.
- Samuel- The son of the rabbi. Samuel makes friends with the young boy from Italy.
The Book on Amazon
Lessons from the Book
FOLLOW US ON: