January is known as National Hobby Month. The contributing writers here on Review This! each have their favorite ways to enjoy a relaxing pursuit and have written many reviews of various how-to books, crafting supplies and DIY tutorials, gardening tips, recipes & kitchen aids for the cook, photography lessons, reading or listening to music, sports, and a host of other hobbies.
These are but a few of the hobbies enjoyed by the Review This crew. The list of hobbies is almost endless. If you are interested in looking for what we writers here have reviewed, type in the name of your 'hobby' either in the box in the top left-hand corner of any Review This page, or in the search box down the right-hand side. By looking at the author's name, you won't have any problem figuring out which HOBBY is each writers' favorite! For instance, mine (Wednesday Elf) is crochet and my hobby is shared by several other contributors here, so we learn and share with each other. A more comprehensive list is shown below.
National Hobby Month
Begun by the Hobby Guild of America in 1955, National Hobby Month was celebrated in April until 1976, then in October until 1986. Since then, it has been celebrated during the month of January.
January was most likely chosen for National Hobby Month as it is the beginning of a new year and a good time to start a new hobby. Many people have never had hobbies during their working years or while raising a family and begin one in their retirement or after the children are grown. Others try many hobbies throughout their life before finding one or two that gives them the most enjoyment.
Hobby Examples on Review This!
Hobbies can be passive (such as crafting, reading, writing, listening to music or watching a movie) or an activity such as gardening, cooking or participating in sports. Many people have more than one hobby and often combine them, such as listening to music while crafting.
In addition to writing reviews here on Review This!, most of the contributing writers here write for their own blogs and websites. Writers consider writing to be more work than hobby, so time away from writing is important. That's where the activities done in our leisure time become such a pleasure. It is also interesting to note that the passion we feel for our hobbies is shown in many of the subjects we write about.
- Barbara Tremblay Cipak (Brite-Ideas) is crazy about country music and frequently writes about the artists and their music she is so passionate about. She is also loves to experiment with color in home décor.
- Dawn Rae does crochet and participates in a group of fellow jeep owners. She also enjoys gardening and lately 'learning about homesteading'.
- Cynthia Sylvestermouse is a freelance writer and photographer who loves all different kinds of crafts, including crafting in the kitchen, creating fancy cakes and cupcakes.
- Barbara (BarbRad) is an expert on books and loves to read. She is also a nature photographer who most enjoys photographing her central California area.
- Mary Beth Granger (MBGphoto) is a fabulous photographer who continually takes photography classes to learn more. Photography has become her passion in her retirement, along with traveling. Lighthouses and beaches are her favorite subjects.
- Wednesday Elf loves crochet and needlework, watching baseball and reading.
- Beverly Owens is busy researching her Native American Indian heritage and loves to write about spirit animals and the wisdom of her ancestors. She also enjoys crocheting.
- Olivia Morris loves gardening and following the fashion world.
- Brenda Little (Treasures By Brenda) collects coffee mugs and researches the history of vintage cups and other vintage items which she shares in her eBay store. She also loves reading, great movies, cooking, and pop culture.
- Diana Wenzel (Renaissance Woman2010) enjoys an off-the-grid lifestyle where she pursues her interests in animal rescue, wonderful nature photography, and DIY projects. She also loves to read.
- Louanne Cox (Lou16) loves reading, 80s music, zombies and dolls, among a host of other interests.
- Heather Burns (Heather426) is an artist, illustrator and graphic designer. Her hobby is her artistic accomplishments, including the colored pencils she has created for coloring pages and coloring books.
- Coletta Teske is a published book author and loves to sew.
- Sam Monaco enjoys cooking and he has a passion for preserving old family recipes. These can be found on his blog Sam's Place. He also loves history.
- Jasmine Ann Marie Annie (Raintree Annie) loves gardening and nature. Her favorite hobby is photography and photographing the wildlife, animals and birds in nature.
These are just the highlights of hobbies and interests I have observed from the articles they publish and the interaction we have as a team here on the staff of Review This!. I am sure there are other interests each of them have.
Quick View Home Page
By clicking on the Quick View Home Page button at the top of any Review This! page, you will have weekly examples of many of the articles your hobbyists here enjoy (plus many non-hobby reviews).
Stop by the comments section and tell us your favorite hobby or activity. The Review This! staff would love to hear about what gives you pleasure in your leisure time.
(c) Written by Wednesday Elf on 1/20/2018
FOLLOW US ON: