|Begin Again - DVD on Amazon|
Begin Again starring Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo and featuring Adam Levine, transports you to a place where the ugliness of personal mistakes takes a back seat while you become a participant in the artist's musical lives. The music is the focus; the characters follow, and it all works.
If along with realism, music and art, you intimately understand the hidden mystique of a city, you'll feel even more from this movieThe story centers around the once Grammy Award winning success, but currently down-on-his-luck character Dan Mulligan, played by Ruffalo, meeting a recently heart broken yet fiercely independent singer-songwriter, Gretta James played by Knightley. They decide to make an outdoor album with each song performed in different locations of New York City, making this the energy that fuels the music. The city's heart automatically beats with the music and although the city isn't directly a dramatized focal point, it's pulsating imperfections connects every aspect to the characters.
If you're drawn to movies that depict the intimate flaws of people, but can still manage to ooze beauty via the complex backdrop of urban discommodity and the souls within, this one wins.
Some Movie Facts:
- Begin Again premiered in September 2013 at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)
- Keira Knightley learned to sing and play guitar for the movie
- The song 'Lost Stars' was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song
- Fans of The Voice will remember Adam Levine performing Lost Stars with Season 7 finale contestant Matt McAndrew
- The soundtrack for the movie was released in June 2014 with most of the songs performed by Knightley and Levine.
Personally Speaking: Begin Again, is now ranked as one of my top ten all time favorite movies. Mark Ruffalo's character is powerful; also one of my favorite actors... as I also appreciate what he stands for off-screen.
by Barbara Tremblay Cipak
Drageda.com - Owner
FOLLOW US ON: