Even though we have owned the custom domain name for years, I was hesitant to make the redirect. I feared all kinds of evils would befall us. I worried that we might even be offline for hours or days. All of those concerns were unfounded. Nothing bad happened and within 30 minutes, our custom domain was completely set and our site was redirected.
Now, let me share our extremely easy directions for redirecting a blogger site to a custom domain. These instructions are written with bloggers in mind, not computer web designers. The instructions are written in plain, easy to understand English and I have included lots of screenshots so you can see exactly what I am talking about in each step.
Instructions for Redirecting a Site URL
If you follow these instructions, they will work. Some steps may require waiting time for the DNS settings to activate, but that does not mean you have made a mistake. Simply be patient and allow the internet to process your commands.
1) Purchase Custom Domain - I use Namecheap, so these instructions will show their dashboard
2) On the Blogger Dashboard, click Settings > Basic
3) Click the link "+ Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog"
4) Go to the Namecheap Dashboard and click "Manage" by the url you wish to use, then select "Advanced DNS" from the top tabs.
5) Copy the domain url, go back to the blogger dashboard, and paste the domain url in the box.
6) Click Save - This will auto-populate the information you need for the next step.
7) Copy the destination (ghs.google.com) and Go Back to the Namecheap Dashboard. Paste ghs.google.com in the CNAME record value box replacing "free.park-your-domain.com." Make sure the www is in the Host section
8) Click "add a new record" and select to add another CNAME Record (See Screenshot Below)
9) Paste the second line of letters and numbers in the appropriate CNAME boxes
10) Click all of the check marks - they will disappear and little trash cans will appear
11) Go back to the Blogspot dashboard and click Save. (If it doesn't save right away, wait 15 - 20 min and try again. One of my blogs took about 15 min for the DNS settings to activate so I could save it.)
12) Once saved, confirm the new domain url is working by viewing your actual blog. Look at the address to confirm url change.
13) One last VERY IMPORTANT STEP!
On the Blogger dashboard, under Settings > Basic, click the "edit" link beside the new url and check the box beside "Redirect 'YourSiteName'.com to www.'YourSiteName'.com. This ensures that the www. is not required in the url to find your site. (This may also take a few minutes before it will allow you to save it)
You may also enjoy seeing our new Quick View Home Page here on Review This! This page features articles you may have previously missed, while also providing excellent examples of the types of reviews published on our site.
I will be sharing instructions on how to create your own Quick View Home Page for your blog soon.
How to Change a Blogger URL to a Custom Domain URL written by:
Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article.