- It is a medium-sized hawk at about 16 inches long.
- They often keep watch at feeders and then swoop in low hoping to surprise the flock.
- They target mid-sized birds that are slower flyers such as doves and starlings. These birds are easier for them to grab with their talons.
- The juveniles have vertical brown streaks on their chests with brown back while the adults will have tight horizontal reddish barring on their chests with gray crowns and backs. Both have barred tails that are rounded at the tips.
- It is a fairly common, medium to large hawk.
- The adult has reddish colored upperwing coverts and also densely barred reddish underparts. The wings and tail are dramatically barred in black and white.
- The juvenile has brown-streaked underparts and a dark tail with many pale bands.
- They make a loud screaming sound that sounds like (KEE-ahh) which is given in a series.
- They are widespread and found in well-watered woodlands and suburban areas with nearby wood lots.
- They are a perch hunter and feed on frogs, snakes, lizards and small mammals.
- Their nests are located high in trees and are made of bulky sticks.
FOLLOW US ON: