|Four Unconventional Ways to Make a Room Cozy|
During the colder months, we begin to hibernate. With hibernation comes cozy blankets, hot cups of tea, movie nights and fireplaces.
If your home still has that open airy spring and summer feel but you'd like to create a cozy home environment for the winter, here are some easy ways to achieve that goal.
1. Add Drapes in Unexpected Places
Most of the time we think of windows when we think of drapes. However, drapes add depth, texture, and warmth to a room and do not have to be restricted to window dressing.
Do you have french doors or pocket doors that lead to another room? If so consider placing drapes over the doorway entrance. The draperies add another level of depth and coziness to both rooms or areas they cover. Instead of closing the doors, close the drapes, or leave them swagged open for a warming effect. Use a decorative curtain rod and install it close to the ceiling to keep the rooms feeling open and higher in height. Take a look at an elaborate example of this concept here.
Do you have a wall-to-wall bookcase or cabinet? If so, warm up the room by adding draperies in front of it. Swag them, pull them open, or close them. Either way, the effect will be lovely and warm and different. Again, keep the curtain rod at the ceiling level if possible.
One final tip, for the best effect, select heavier drapes with form and structure. Consider your decor. If your room needs more art and pattern, choose art drapes or patterned drapes. If your space is already filled with enough pattern, go with a contrasting or matching solid color.
2. Layer the Lighting in a Room
Ambient lighting from multiple sources creates a relaxing, inviting, and warm feeling. If you have an overhead fixture or pot lights, put them on a dimmer switch so you can dim down the brightness. Also, don't forget that you can create mood lighting with your lamps by adding three-way bulbs.
Another lovely way to warm up a room is by using an essential oil diffuser that lights up. You'll not only get the benefit of aromatherapy you'll also get a lovely multi-colored low-level ambient light.
A Light-Box is another way to add ambient lighting warmth. This particular Light-Box is lovely and it's the kind of thing that keeps on giving. It features interchangeable quotes, sayings and celebration cards. It's not only soft lighting, but it also displays positive or festive messages.
3. Add Faux Fur to a Room
There are a number of ways to add faux fur to a room:
- The first is to strategically position a small faux fur rug on the floor or use a larger faux rug for spacious rooms. Here's a lovely bedroom featuring a sizeable faux fur white area rug.
- Add one or two faux fur Ottomans. They come in several smaller stand-alone sizes and make a lovely soft warm accent to a room. Check out this contemporary room featuring two upholstered steel Ottomans.
- Place a small faux fur rug over the back of a chair, over an ottoman or on the back of a couch. It can also double as an item to use as an extra place to sit on the floor when needed. Check out what one looks like over the back of a chair.
- Place multiple thick and lush floor cushions in a decorative spot so you can pull them up to the coffee table for family game night
- For larger family rooms, add table and chairs to the room. Use chair cushions to soften the look then place your favorite family games in a basket under or near the table
- If games will be played at the kitchen or dining room table, make it a warm and inviting experience by adding a standing popcorn machine, a basket with blankets in the corner to warm up with while playing, and a scoreboard to track the winners
FOLLOW US ON: