|Twinings Peppermint Tea - Photography by Lou's Designs|
I will admit to a bias - I love, love, love peppermint tea, but who wouldn't? I touched very briefly on why I enjoy peppermint tea on my fun tea infuser review as I usually enjoy fresh peppermint leaves steeped in boiling water.
Sometimes, however you need another source and my go to commercial brand is Twinings Pure Peppermint tea bags.
Why Do I Recommend Twinings Peppermint Tea Bags?
Twinings Pure Peppermint is a tea that I really enjoy and I first came across it a few years ago when I managed to kill my peppermint plant - apparently they can't be killed, but as I've said to my daughter on numerous occasions there's no such word as can't! I had to find a replacement as I'd come to really enjoy my cup of peppermint tea after lunch so I set off on a mission to find some peppermint tea bags.
- The name Twinings is synonomous with good tea
- They were available in a 10 bag size - ideal for sampling
- They were on a very good special
Why Drink Peppermint Tea?
The main reason I enjoy drinking peppermint tea is because it's delicious and I love the taste! There are lots of health benefits for drinking it as well, though and it's always nice when something that is good for you also tastes delicious!
Here's some of the benefits of peppermint tea -
- Aids digestion, including bloating, cramping, vomiting & nausea - even motion sickness can be helped with peppermint tea.
- Boosts your immune system - it has known anti-bacterial properties which means it can help ease symptoms of illness (especially colds, flus and sinus problems) and it can also act as a preventative.
- Helps bad breath - it doesn't just make your mouth feel fresh and smell clean from the menthol (that's what gives you the minty flavor), but because of the anti-bacterial properties it can kill off germs that cause haliotis.
- Helps with concentration - more on that below!
- Can provide stress relief - menthol (an active ingredient in peppermint tea) has natural sedative and anti-spasmodic properties which combined together really helps to ease stress while the anti-inflammatory properties can help to lower blood pressure allowing you to relax.
- Helps with headaches and migraines - because of how it helps with stress and sinus (two causes of headaches) peppermint tea can be very helpful.
- Offers sinus relief - menthol is a natural decongestant which means it provides relief from sinus pressure, it also soothes a sore throat which is handy if the sinus congestion is from a cold or flu. I've seen it recommended to add honey to peppermint tea for sinus, colds and flus, but I've never added honey myself.
There are lots more health benefits, it's almost sounding like a superfood isn't it? I should add however that when taking herbal infusions for a medical reason you should always talk to your doctor. Menthol has been known to cause typically mild allergic reactions in some people so if in doubt consult a medical professional.
Why I Drink Peppermint Tea At Lunchtime
I always enjoy my peppermint tea after eating my lunch (I sometimes enjoy it at other times, but this is my favorite time). As I've said I enjoy the flavor, it leaves my mouth feeling lovely and fresh and I also think it helps with my digestion.
I have also discovered that I concentrate better in the afternoon if I've had a peppermint tea after lunch - no more '3pm fog brain' for me. I had been wondering if this increased concentration was just a placebo effect, but apparently there have been scientific studies (and here was me thinking I'd 'discovered' this all by myself!).
A study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience found that peppermint tea can increase focus and concentration. Another study by the University of Cincinnati found that the scent of peppermint was even better at boosting alertness, concentration and improving memory than actually drinking the tea.
Now I'm not going to just sniff the tea and not drink it, but I take the study to mean - sit down, relax, cradle your cup/mug of precious peppermint tea and inhale the scent while also sipping slowly on it. Once it's finished you'll be set for a very productive afternoon!
|Please Pin Me!|
Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article.