Amazon Echo Dot
Fun with Alexa
- "Alexa, Good Morning" Our Dot is in our kitchen and each morning we go in and say Good Morning. Alexa then gives us a bit of information for the day. On January 20th she gave us interesting bits of information on the inauguration. On Sunday she talked about the teams playing in the NFL playoffs. Another day she announced that it was "National Hug Day" and encouraged us to give hugs for at least 10 seconds each.
- "Alexa, what is the temperature?". Alexa is always ready with the current forecast. If you want the forecast for another city, just ask and she will give that to you too.
- "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list. or Alexa, add clean basement to my to-do list." Alexa keeps a running total of my shopping list and my to-do list. When I am ready to do our grocery shopping the list is complete on my phone and I can just tick off the items as I put them in my cart.
- "Alexa, play a song by the New Christy Ministrals". Alexa takes requests for songs by genre, artist or a specific song. I like to start off the morning by having her play an old Country Hymn like Amazing Grace or How Great Thou Art.
- "Alexa, Let's Play Jeopardy" Each day Alexa has a new set of questions based on the categories of that day's Jeopardy program. We have fun seeing how good we do each day.
- "Alexa, turn on the bedroom lamp" We have purchased some special plugs for two of our lamps and all we have to do is tell Alexa when we want to turn them on or off. There are other devises that can also be purchased to work with the Dot such as thermostats and light switches.
- "Alexa, tell me a joke" Alexa has a whole list of corny jokes she will tell you.