A favorite technique of mine in Adobe Photoshop is texturing. The photo above shows a photo of a flower with a textured background. This photo is actually a combination of two different photographs that I shot. The foreground is the daisy flower and the textured background is a photograph of my windshield with ice on it. On this post I will review some of the steps needed to create this photo and then show some other photographs I created using this procedure.
Creating a Textured Background
Steps to Create Textured Photo Composite
- I first Open a background photo in PS. I used my icy windshield background for the photo at the top of this post. I also always make a duplicate copy of the background photo.
- Next I click on file and then Place Embedded to select the photo that I want in the forefront. In this case my daisy photo. The new photo will come in on top of the background photo and I will then stretch or reduce it to make it the same size as the background photo.
- The next step is to pick out the area of the photo that you want to highlight. In the case of the daisy photo I use the Quick Selection tool to outline the main daisy. I then click the button at the top that says Select and Mask.
- This will open a new window that will give you the opportunity to use sliders to bring in as much of the background texture as you want. Play with the sliders till you get the desired effect and click done.
- This will bring you back to the main screen where you will now click the little square at the bottom of the layers column that adds the layer mask.(when I first started I always got hung up because I forgot this important step.)
- Next you will tweak the sliders for the layer mask to get exactly the effect you desire.
- Now you just save your work and you have created a beautiful photo with a textured background.
This took a lot of practice for me to get all the steps right so don't get discouraged if at first you don't succeed.
Samples of my Textured Background PhotosDaisy with Brick Wall TextureBluebirds with Sky Texture Background
Candle in Crystal Ball with Fire textured background
Photoshop Texture Book on Amazon
Zazzle Card with Textured Photo
FOLLOW US ON: