Link to Book through Amazon
- Max- Max is a dentist, who served as a medic in World War II. He met several German resistance members whom he helped whenever he could.
- Beth- Max's daughter. We meet her in the present day after her mother has died and she is taking care of her invalid father. She wants to spend as much time as she can with him and engages him in talking about his time in the war.
- Johanna- We first meet Johanna just before the war when Hitler is just starting to rise to power. Johanna and her family have been able to hide the fact that she is one quarter Jewish through a grandfather who has since passed away.
- Harald- Harald is a professor who marries Johanna. During the war he is pressed into service for a cause he does not believe in.
- Margarethe (Metta) - Metta is a younger sister who marries a strict Nazi, before she realizes his true character. She sneaks away whenever she can to work for the resistance.
- Ansel- Ansel is Metta's husband and a very cruel person who is loyal to the Nazi cause.
- Jonas and Heide- They belong to the German resistance. When Jonas is wounded, Metta meets an American medic in the forest and brings him to help Jonas.
My Thought on the Book
FOLLOW US ON: